For over three centuries, the Taj Mahal has touched and inspired all who gazed upon it. Overlooking the ancient city of Agra on the banks of the Yumuna River, the Taj Mahal represents the universal dream of creating a “Heaven on Earth.” Experience the poignant love story at the heart of this extraordinary structure, and learn about the design genius, technical skill and sheer hard work that went into its construction as you walk around the monument.
The official, government-approved Taj Mahal audio tour was created in partnership with the Archaeological Survey of India, Government of India. Easy to read signs are placed along the tour path to help guide you through your visit. The tour lasts approximately an 60-90 minutes.
- Foreign Languages: English, French, Spanish, Italian, German
- Indian Languages: Hindi, Bengali, Tamil, and Telugu
- Japanese language tour coming soon.
How to Listen:
- On Site: Rent an AudioCompass device from the East or West Gate ticket counter of the Taj Mahal
- Download: Download to your iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, iPod, Android Phone or other personal device
- Not a Smartphone User? Access the tour via AudioCompass Culture Calls
- The Jilukhana: Learn about the effect the Taj Mahal had on visitors as they prepared themselves to transition from the world of the living to that of the dead.
- The Riverfront Terrace: Learn how the Taj Mahal seemingly floats it the air and how it’s perfect proportion seems to make it grow in stature the closer you get to it.
- The Gardens: As you marvel at the majesty of the Taj Mahal, learn about the importance of gardens in Mughal architecture. Learn why the garden was designed as it was, how it was supplied with water, and which plants grew there